Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joshua Thomasson

I'm Sure You All Know...

2 posts in this topic

In case, for some reason, you haven't heard, Microsoft bought Minecraft this week. I did a little digging around and from what I understand Notch, and a few other head honchos at Mojang, simply felt Minecraft had gotten too big. Notch never expected Minecraft to get as big as it did, let alone become a global phenomenon. It had gotten so big that Notch couldn't work on any of his other projects. Minecraft was just too demanding, so they needed a bigger company to take over. Mojang and Microsoft had been working together for a few years already, so I guess they were the obvious choice.

If you want to know more, go do a little digging on the internet. It's pretty easy to find articles about it. I don't think it's a hostile takeover of Minecraft or anything, but I do wonder what this'll mean for the future of the game. We've been promised continued development on the game, but that's it. In the best case scenario, then Minecraft continues to grow and the community loves it. Worst case, we pay subscription fees for updates and dlc, or something like that. But, I don't see it going that far.

Josh,

The whole thing seems to make sense if Notch and the others were not planning on it going that big and want to do other things with their lives. Having the money to do so will definitely aid that cause. They could each go make a studio or all work together on something else for that matter. The one thing I wonder about is the move to go on to something else may hurt in the end, and is a risk in some ways. Staying with Minecraft is a sure thing for a while I am thinking. It is a good thing to discuss and I do not really see major horrible things coming from Microsoft as they are supporting Indie now.

DonateloTex and Surranofe like this